Starting over from scratch

My transactions have gotten so screwed up from ledger wallet import issues, I think I should just delete all and start over from scratch. I’ve only started using it this year and only have transactions going back to 2019. Any tips, tricks, or traps on starting over from scratch? I think I read do hardware wallets first? Also, the CB to CB Pro wallet transfers seem to cause issues. Anyone else suffering from these too?

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

You have the option of only deleting the wallet that is causing you issues. I would not delete all the wallets unless they are accounts that are trackable by API or the like. Manuel entry can be a pain.
Please note that if you do delete a wallet, you may have to reclassify any transactions.

I would suggest, depending on the issue, would be to just classify messed up transactions as ignore or delete them if you are confidant.

What exactly is the issue?

1 Like

I think the root cause is that when I first bought BTC it was on regular CB. Later I moved these up to my CB Pro account. After that, I got a Ledger X and and S and moved those and additional BTC off of CB Pro to the hardware wallets. When I pulled all that into Accointing, the issues began with several ledger adjustments that I was prompted to make. I took my best shot but really did not understand what I was doing. I believe the order I pulled them in caused the problem, because I believe the cost basis looked wrong, and I realized I had not pulled in the original CB wallet (which was empty but had all the original history). I think I did that last, and that’s when the issues started that I had to fix by hand. Let’s assume I did that wrong, but I did clear all the warnings as best I could and used the ‘Fix it For Me’ button.
Then, I moved some BTC from the Ledger X back into CB Pro. When I refreshed everything in Accounting, I almost had a heart attack when Accounting said my Ledge had two full BTC less than it had on it, and it reported the 2 BTC being sent to an ‘unknown location’. I also used some web-based on-chain tools to look at the wallet’s public address, and they seemed to agree with Accounting! Then I was really freaked out thinking I had been hacked somehow. So I deleted the Ledger wallet from Accounting, and just to be safe I moved most the two ‘missing’ BTC from the Ledger back to CB Pro. With great relief, both the Ledger and CB Pro reported a normal move and everything looked fine from both places. I wrote the Accounting part off to my bad ledger adjustments, and the apparent agreement of the onchain tool to my ignorance of reading the UTO’s properly onchain. Everything seemed back to normal.
Then, I re-added the Ledger wallet I had deleted back into Accounting. The totals look right, but now it has lost the complete history somehow, because Accointing showed the moved BTC as brand new ones, apparently defaulting to the current value as as the basis, which is way different from the actual basis.
Everything looked fine before all of this, but deleting the Ledger and re-adding it (fearing I had been hacked, but had not) seems to have hosed the cost basis up bad. I’m wondering if I should just delete all the manual adjustments I made and the adjustments that were made by Accointing for me, and just see if it can properly reconstruct all the history now that the old, original CB wallet is there too (which should provide the entire history of my holdings).
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks! John K.
P.S. This is the best tool I’ve used so far for crypto accounting and tracking, and I really appreciate the support!

1 Like

Wow man, a lot happened there. I would suggest creating a dummy account with a different email to start from scratch to see why is better. I keep it or delete and restart.
I am glad you did not loose your 2 BTC! Sometimes the website takes a bit before it can fetch new transactions, do you think that could have been the issue?

No, I think I hosed things up with my manual adjustments made a while ago before I got that old CB regular account pulled in.

The disturbing “Unknown Sender” and “Unknown Receiver” transactions seem to be due to Coinbase generating a new (temporary) wallet address every time you do a deposit into it (e.g., from a Ledger). I’ve walked thru the blockchain transactions and confirmed these are one-time use, temporary addresses which are apparently never used again, for security reasons I guess. What’s annoying is that when you then pull everything from the Coinbase API somehow Accointing either can’t stitch it all back together again, or Coinbase is not sending enough information, or something. I’m baffled on that one.

Still have the original question though: is there no way to simply go and wipe the Full Dataset out and just re-import everything (into the existing account)? I’m surprised you can’t just do that in your account without all this pain and suffering.

Thanks for your reply,
John

1 Like

Is this helpful?

When you hit delete, you have the option to ignore it instead, which is what I would suggest in case you need the info back. (You can also change the search results to only include the wallet in question.)

You can also delete The entire wallet and reset it, but that will delete the transactions, not ignore them.

1 Like