Graph of holdings seems bugged

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to understand why this:

produces this:

New user, these are the only transactions I’ve entered for ADA but it seems to group all of the Buys together to the day I made the account.

Can you please click refresh on the wallet or exchange and then after it loads see if the graph has updated?

After much exploring, I resolved the issue by moving a misplaced internal transfer transaction that had a date of June 2021 to its correct date of June 2019 instead. This internal transfer was for BTC unrelated to my recent purchases, but moved all of the trade buy and sell dates for all of my other coins such as ADA and DOT purchased in 2021 to the correct position, rather than the day I had entered the data.

I would classify this as a bug, I’m not 100% sure but it seems like buy orders on a wallet are bunched up on the graph until sufficient funding becomes available (according to Accointing’s calculated value) for them to be executed; either that or the data entry date is used instead of the buy date if there is some discrepancy with the wallet balance. I think that if the full data set says “I bought X ADA here, Y ADA here and Z ADA here” then it is probably best to just use those three values and dates in isolation to produce the holdings graph, and disregard how the purchases are actually funded.

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

I am trying to recreate a simple recreation to your issue to see if I can recreate it or not.

This LTC does not mark a sale on the graph, but that also would put the graph negative, so let me try another example, this time with dogecoin.

This does produce a sell -

I reread your issue it seems like the issue is all about buy orders, not sells.
Zcash’s turn -

I show the sell and buys

I switched the withdrawal to an internal and send it from this wallet to another wallet.

Still working as it should:

Do you have any ideas on how I may be able to recreate this issue?

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the case was to do with somehow indirectly dependent funds. Here is what the correct order of tx should have been on my account:

1. Internal transfer of BTC from exchange A to exchange B (June 2019)
  2. Many other transactions which used this BTC, split it into various other coins, etc. etc.
  3. Purchase of ADA with USDT on exchange C (August 2021)

This USDT all came from mining ETH and selling it on exchange C as far as I know, I suppose it is possible that Accointing attributes some of it to the transactions in step (2).

The issue I encountered was that in step (1), the year of the transaction had been incorrectly set (by me) to 2021 instead of 2019, placing it in June 2021. This is still before the ADA buy but after a ton of other transactions that would have in one way or another depended on the BTC.

The simple change of the year in the internal transfer in step (1) from 2021 to 2019 caused all the buy/sell markers to be completely re-positioned on the Holdings and Price graphs.

Unfortunately my account has over 1000 transactions on it so to create a minimal repro case I’d probably have to open another account.

Let us know if you ever encounter an issue like this again :slight_smile:
I will close the post for now :slight_smile:

I can encounter the issue again by simply changing the transaction date from 2019 to 2021 again.

The question to be asked is why are the holdings graphs not based purely on the buy and sell timestamps and quantities of the asset being graphed? There should be no other variables involved.

I am doubtless not the only person to experience this issue, and as it stands the graphs cannot be trusted, so this isn’t really a satisfactory answer.

1 Like

Here is a simular issue: The coin is there but it's not there

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.