External wallet reporting different, incorrect balance

Hi folks!

My wallets that are being pulled in by an API (Coinbase, Gemini, and Binance.US) all have some coins where the balance being reported by the API is 0 but the balance calculated by Accointing is not zero.

For these coins, Accointing says “This external wallet reports a different balance than the imported transactions result in on Accointing. You can compare the wallets transactions with your Full-Data-Set or use the Missing-Funds-Tool to fix those automatically.”

However, in each of these cases Accointing’s calculations are correct, and the amount reported by the API is wrong. This seems to be happening sometimes when the balance is earning rewards like in Gemini Earn (and I understand the complexities around the “earning rewards” tax logic discussed here ), but it’s not always rewards-bearing coins. Regardless of whether or not rewards are involved, though, if I look at the balances in the exchange, the amount that is actually in the wallet is always the same as what Accointing thinks it should be, not what the wallet’s API is reporting.

So, in this situation, I want to accept Accointing’s math, not the API’s. Would it be possible to add a “ignore API-reported balances” setting for API imports? Koinly offers this, and it would do exactly what I’m looking for. My other option would be to import these problematic exchanges via CSV instead of connecting to the API, but the API is very useful for keeping up with my trading.

Thanks!

I see that there are some whole in your calculations like the Gemini Earn rewards like yo mentioned above.

For best tax results, please manually fill in the missing transactions in your full data set.
The balances that are calculated on the Wallet’s Page is pulling from the exchange what you have in the exchange and then comparing it to the math in the Full Data set to see if it all adds up.

So your feature request is to allow an option to ignore pulling the actual data from the exchange/wallet leaving only displaying the calculated math from the API.

The biggest issue with this is that you might accidentally accept that there are holes in the data and therefore accidentally not fill in the missing transactions.

Thanks for your response.

Correct, the feature request is to allow an option to ignore pulling in the balances from the exchange/wallet, and rely on the calculated math from the API. (Again, this is an option that Koinly provides, presumably for this exact reason.)

For me, this situation seems to be occurring in one of two scenarios:

1. The coins are in a staked or lended “state” at the exchange. (For instance, Gemini Earn or if the coin is one of those that earns staking rewards with Coinbase.) In this situation, the coin has not been withdrawn from the account from my standpoint (and there is no API transaction stating that the coin has been withdrawn), but the reported balance is zero (presumably because the coin is considered to be in a separate pool by the exchange’s API).

2. The coin hasn’t yet cleared for withdrawal. (For instance, if I deposited fiat and immediately purchased a coin, but the deposit hasn’t yet cleared.) This was happening for me with the binance.us API.

In both of these situations, if I go to the exchange’s website and I view my balance, the balance I see on the exchange matches the computed balance based on transactions. However, the balance reported by the API and displayed by Accointing is zero.

What I would like to do is to be able to look at my exchange balances on the exchange website, compare them to my Accointing balances on the Accointing website, and confirm that they match. With the current behavior, they do not match. If I could ignore API balances and display only the calculated math, they would match.

For now, I’ve given up on the API and have resorted to importing just the transactions, and that works great. The annoying part is that it means I regularly have to manually add transactions when I receive staking income.

As an example:

• I deposit $30 fiat into coinbase
  • I use that $30 to purchase 1 Cosmos (ATOM), which pays 5.0% APY
  • Coinbase shows a balance of 1 ATOM
  • I link my Coinbase accoint to Accointing via the API
  • Accointing imports all my transactions
  • Accointing shows a balance of 0 ATOM
  • Accointing also gives me a message that says “This wallet reports a balance of 0 ATOM. Based on the data imported into Accointing the balance is 1 ATOM.”

To summarize, Accointing shows a balance of 0 ATOM, but Coinbase shows a balance of 1 ATOM. There are no “holes in the data” or missing transactions. The balances reported by the API simply do not match the balances displayed by the exchange (presumably because behind the scenes the exchange is treating interest-generating assets differently). Hopefully it is clear why that is not desirable behavior.

I see, well we will allow the people to vote then :smiley:

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! In ACCOINTING.com, we work based on a voting mechanism: the more upvotes your feature requests has, the faster it moves in our development pipeline. Hopefully, you’ll get enough upvotes from this community to have it implemented.

To see how many votes there are for a feature request simply go to the main page of the Accointing Community Board > Feature Requests > Then click ‘Votes’ to sort by most votes.

I added your idea to the general ideas board :slight_smile:

Some of you have had problems with your Coinbase account. Coinbase changed its APIs a week ago without any communication. Coinbase does not return BTC and ETH accounts if all accounts are queried. We have now corrected this to include them again. Let me know if you have anymore questions :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.