Categorize a token, that I received for just holding a certain amount of another coin?

How do I categorize a token, that I received from just holding another coin.

For example, I hold x EGLD (Elrond) in my wallet and will soon be able to actively claim MEX every week, which is a governance token. The tokens I receive are dependent on the following things:

1. How much coins (EGLD) do I hold?
  2. Do I just hold them (1x multiplier), did I refer a few friends (1,25x multiplier) or have I staked them (1,5x multiplier)

Is that a “Gift received”, an airdrop? What is it?

Here is a link for more information about the MEX token: DeFi For The Next Billion: Maiar Exchange To Enable Internet-Scale Value Swaps, Global Accessibility, And Fair Community Distribution · Elrond

Wie kategorisiere ich ein Token, dass ich bekommen habe, weil ich eine andere Coin halte?

Zum Beispiel halte ich x EGLD (Elrond) in meiner Wallet und werde bald dafür wöchentlich sogenannte MEX Tokens aktiv claimen können. Das sind Governance Tokens. Die Anzahl der erhaltenen Tokens hängt hiervon ab:

1. Wie viele Coins (EGLD) halte?
  2. Halte ich diese nur (1x Multiplikator), habe ich 5 Freunde geworben (1,25x Multiplikator) oder stake ich die Coins (1,5x Multiplikator).

Sind das Geschenke? Airdrops? Wie muss ich die eintragen?

Für mehr Informationen zum MEX Token: DeFi For The Next Billion: Maiar Exchange To Enable Internet-Scale Value Swaps, Global Accessibility, And Fair Community Distribution · Elrond

I have always characterized those as “Airdrop”. If that isn’t right, I want to know otherwise.

It depends on where are you from, but you can search on Crypto Taxes - Accointing Blog - Cryptocurrency Portfolio Tracking & tax Software :v:

@Peacefuldavid

I have bad feelings about classifying them Airdrops. Because in my case MEX tokens have to be claimed and if you don’t want them, the will be burned after 1 month of not having claimed them.

To my knowledge, airdrops are things, that you cannot decline, you just get them. Technically this can be declined. What other things could we apply here?

@Juan

I live in Germany.

1 Like

I got it … on the other hand, Accointing doesn’t show airdrops as you ever taking ownership … even if you turn around and sell them … so airdrops seem to be essentially tax-neutral.